BHUBANESWAR: In the Odisha capital, a young man lost Rs 1 lakh while playing an internet game on his mobile phone.
The victim, identified as Mohan Singh, who works at a computer institute, has filed a case with the Bhubaneswar cyber police station.
According to the Commissionerate Police’s cyber crime wing, Mohan was browsing social media after coming from work on Monday evening when he came across an online game commercial.
The advertisement stated that the player would receive Rs 50 after finishing one point and Rs 1000 after completing all game levels.
ALSO READ: Mobile Game Frenzy Leads To Teen Death: Bihar Police In Search Of Body Of Boy Murdered By Friends Over Free Fire
Mohan registered to play the online game after being enticed by the marketing.
After finishing the levels, he was requested to link his bank account to get the prize money.
After completing the procedures, he received an OTP (one-time password) on his registered mobile number. As soon as he typed the OTP, Rs 1 lakh was deducted in three instalments from his bank account. It was disconnected when Mohan called the number listed on the gambling website.
ALSO READ: 8 Engineering Graduates Arrested For Running Fake Gaming Website With Russian Agents
TIPS FROM EXPERTS
– Cyber experts have warned not to download or share personal information on any online apps.
– Cyber criminals have created many dubious gaming applications to steal personal information.
– Apps promising quick returns are traps as scammers initially pay some amount, but as soon big money is invested, they block the payment
– Gaming apps are very attractive and entertaining in nature they are used to steal users’ personal or banking information.
– Always verify the authenticity of the app before the download.
Follow The420.in on
Telegram | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | YouTube